Sep 17, 2013

Day 23 – The Krishna’s Key by Ashwin Sanghi

I got this book on the basis of a review I read at couple of blogs. I spent a good part of today morning to find those reviews. After finding the two out of three reviews that I read for the book before I bought, I hereby share their reviews with you.

A review was written by a blogger whom I have already mentioned when I shared his review of The cuckoo’s calling. Yes! Its Rupertt Wind.

He says, “Setting aside these two disappointments the novel is really good and can be easily ranked as one of the few very good Indian authored book that I have read in the last couple of years. I would suggest that the any one who can get your hands one just grab it. Aside from a few glitches I pointed out, the story is fabulous, gripping and very well researched.


Second review was actually stark opposite. It was by one of my favorite bloggers – Suresh Chandrashekaran.

He concludes – “Thus, for me, it is a grave disappointment to read such a book when I was looking forward to reading a decent fantasy/thriller. After a gripping start the book degenerates into a series of lectures with just enough action thrown in every now and then to get the book to a close.
Ashwin Sanghi, however, is a pleasant surprise in the English he uses since his usage of Hinglish is sparing and restricted mostly to the dialogues of his characters. If he had intended to write a workable novel with all these theories in place, he should have opted for a longer size for the book and paid more attention to his characters.
All in all, it may be an interesting book if you like speculative theories about the myths of the past and you do not read the book expecting it to be a great thriller or fantasy.


Even though they are different, I partially agree to both the reviews. I think authors like Ashwin Sanghi bring a good change to contemporary Indian writing with their thorough researches, and decent English. I liked the book in general with a slight disappointment at the sudden end. I rate the book a 3 out of 5.


Do you want to blog for a cause?

8 comments:

  1. I quite liked the way the book is written. Gave a lot of insights and the concepts, mythology, symbols shared are very interesting and amazing. Only thing that didnt appeal to me were some very lengthy and detailed descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree to you. In addition to the above, I didnt like the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now the reviews have confused me. Ashwin's Chanakya's Chant had impressed me. Now I am not sure if this one will be good. Suresh ji is a good writer himself and has more understanding of literature than us, I can say I would agree to his views :-) Rest on reading the book :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpi this one is indeed a tough call. I fully agree with Suresh but I wasnt really looking for a mystery. Probably that's why I liked it.

      Delete
  4. It is on my reading list..Thanks for the review..:-)

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)