Aug 16, 2013

Day 7 - Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

Day 7 of my project 30 days 30 books is covering a book that I have read more than once. I find this book to be my support system.

What – Reading Lolita in Tehran
Why – An exceptional tale of courage and determination

I found this book on the counter of full circle while I paid for my purchases and saw a high recommendation note along with it. For those who are regular at full circle for their book supply knows that the full circle recommendations are worth a thought, I bought the book at impulse.
After a month of resting on my bookshelf, the book presented me with a wonderful story of a book club in Tehran by Azar Nafisi.

In a memoir that moves around the author and her seven female students, the book covers the incidents around each member while they meet every week to discuss works of literature including Lolita.

In each read, I saw the lives of these women in a new light. At first I pitied and thanked god for my life. In second, I saw the courage. In successions, I understood about the balance, the desperation, the need to be and rebel, I saw what revolutionary are made of.

The book is not so light read but a definitely engrossing one. It speaks in metaphors and quotes from the famous works of Valdimir Nobokov, Jane Austen and other authors. It discusses about issues of headscarves and education, movies and entertainment, secret libraries and underground movie stores. It speaks of the lives of victims of Fundamentalist government of Iran.

I recommend this book highly to each one who has never thought twice about easy access to literature and to many more who would like to read more about a true account of Iranian life.
I rate the book as 4 out of 5.

Read Day 6 review here -
http://somethings-sugandha.blogspot.com/2013/08/day-6-other-side-of-human-love.html

4 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful initiative that you have taken. I wish I had this much of energy~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...Write for a day if you want to.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that sounds more reasonable. I've been planning to write a book review in the form of a conversation, lets see if I can make it. These days my little one allow me very little privacy on my keyboard.

      Delete
    3. I'd wait for that...there are still 20 days left to my project...am sure you will get some time.

      Delete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)