May 17, 2013

A solo movie date - check

For many people, it might be completely normal thing to do, but for me (who am extremely talkative and restless) it always seemed impossible to go out alone. And not only because it is awkward, but also because it is not considered safe.
Many of my must watch movies have been missed because I didn’t have company to watch it. Also, many a times I have been accompanied or accompanied friends for some such movies only because one of us really wants to see it and other doesn’t.
A movie trip alone has never been an alien concept. It was just an option that I never wanted to use. Call it my fear or call it stupidity, my idea of movie was with friends. I would mentally fret over it, think how awkward it would be to just walk through a hall, watch a movie without being able to comment anywhere in between, stare awkwardly towards discussing groups. I almost thought it was undoable and stupid thing to do.
Until today! Yesterday was my first movie trip alone. With my roomie not in town, most friend either busy or already seen the movie, I had no option but to go see the movie on my own.
It was rather impulsive decision. I was just browsing through Bookmyshow (my close friends and colleagues know that I have a habit of doing this almost every Thursday). So stuck with boredom, I was just going through this site when I remembered that I really wanted to see this movie. So as usual, after checking the show timings I checked with a couple of friends, but since most of them were busy, on an impulse (and out of frustration of not being able to eat my chocolate) I booked a ticket.
Contrary to my stated fear, the experience was fun and elating. I went to the theater, collected my tickets, picked up coffee and went to sit in one of those bucket seats I love at certain movie halls. After first 5 awkward minutes of actually gawking at people’s faces and feeling miserable about myself, I gave in. (Actually trailers began by then) For the next one hour I was completely absorbed in the movie. I could laugh, cry, and feel sad or happy along with characters without getting conscious of my actions.
I was so happy for being able to do it, that the intermission didn’t have any awkward moment. Thanks to the cellphone (I spent half of it on that) I didn’t feel alone or depressed any longer. I was still watching people, going up and down with their snacks, and acknowledge them with a smile whenever they looked back at me.
The second half was equally good (not the movie, but the experience) and I came out of the hall elated.
Yes – so watching movie alone – check. Would I do it alone? Yes certainly. Because am too bored or I don’t have friends – No, because I can enjoy my movie without comments and choose to like or not like it myself. And most importantly, I go on a date with the most important person of my life – Myself.

4 comments:

  1. you may be astonished to know that I can count movies which I have seen with friends and family :D
    I prefer watching them alone .. A movie freak , big time, I was !!
    Well,lovely post :)
    Find me around now that we are in network :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! So I arent the only one...that encourages me to do it for the second time :)

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)