Apr 7, 2014

Reviews A to Z - Friends of Books

Those were the just out of college days when pocket was empty for a bigger half of the month. Buying a book was a luxury that I could not afford on regular basis.  Also, buying books wasn’t this easy also. The Flipkarts’ and Amazons’ of this world weren’t present. Libraries weren’t an easy option too. They were either too far, or too expensive (a library had an annual membership fee of Rs.3000, I never had that much money to spare at one go).

In one of those days I discovered an online library called Friends of Books. It sounded pretty interesting. I made an account and selected ten books that I wanted to read. I selected my package, which was about Rs. 750 for six months and asked them to deliver the book. In next five days, I had two books out of my selection at my place. I read them at leisure and once I was done, went back to the website and asked for next books. The courier guy came with next set of two books and collected the ones I had read already.



The system was smooth and without glitch. The book collection is average with almost all popular bestsellers available. Book delivery took not more than seven days and payment was in cash to the courier guy. The company later changed the terms, and I could pay my subscription online.

Very soon, they came up with a bookstore for used books. Even today it is one of my favorite spots for buying used books. One, the books they sell or lend comes in good condition. There are no torn pages, rarely dog eared, not marked or underlined, many time plastic covered, yellowed pages yes, but many hard bounds too. After all, if you get a good hard bound, who minds yellowing of pages?

For me Friends of Books is a wonderful library that delivers. I’d rate their service a 4 out of 5.



-------------------
Linking it to UBC and A to Z challenge.

Have you found Shades of Life on Facebook yet? Please check it out here

Please take out time to read more about the featured blogger for the month of April here.

Guests are always welcomed at Shades of Life. Drop me a line at sugandha118@gmail.com and I would love to share your thoughts here.

Are you a member of a library? How is your experience?


26 comments:

  1. This is very much new to me. Sounds interesting. Must ask some friends at India to try this out !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had heard about it, my nephew uses this. I have yet to try it though...good to hear that you had positive experience with this.

    Beauty Interprets, Expresses, Manifests the Eternal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I never knew about this.. Checking it out now!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting!! I will check it out!!

    http://iamstri.wordpress.com/
    Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
    Smile, it makes (y)our day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I never knew about this...Interesting..Will check it out :)
    Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Suganda, never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing!!! Wow again!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We keep learning as we blog. I never heard about this place, until today. Sounds fascinating and worth a try. Thanks Sugandha!

    ~Shailaja

    A to Z Challenge, 2014/ UBC, April 2014

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know about this one. Sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have something of this nature in Lucknow too. It is called 300 stories..

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to belong to The Doubleday Book Club, where you could buy hard cover books for reasonable prices, then get some free ones as well. I have an whole library's worth of books now. :) Too bad they went bankrupt some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know another friend of books. I would see that they also got your support during those days.. Liked reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had a library card since I was a little over 12 and I truly love books! But for me I need to own them. It feels like I'm owning the story

    The 2 AM Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's the reason that I am no longer a library member :/

      Delete
  13. What a great service - glad you had such a convenient way to borrow books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow looks good to me. I had the British library service. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds interesting...will try that sometime..Thank you for sharing Sugandha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Decent! I had joined Just Books here in Bangalore but it was an average experience.. right now I am busy ransacking British council

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)