Feb 5, 2014

Oh! I hate smartphones...

“Tring Tring” “Tring Tring” the phone buzzed at its loudest self, waking me up from a deep sleep. I got up with a jerk to answer, only to realize that it was an alarm. My phone has replaced my bedside clock and hence the confusion between alarm tone and ringtone.

After a couple of snoozes, I woke up and dialed mom. I spoke to her while getting ready for work.

As usual, I was running late for work. These snooze options in the phones is just so annoying. 

Once I got down of my house, I realized I had forgotten my phone at home. I rushed up to take it while the cab driver insisted on blowing the horn while I did so.

On my way to work, I opened my e-reader and read the daily news on my phone.  The world has nothing but news of murders and politics. So I moved to reading a novel.

As I got down of my cab I whatsapped a couple of friends to make plan for evening.

Once in office, I couldn’t comprehend my to-do list. My phone came to my rescue. I made a day plan and set a reminder.

Around coffee break, the FB app reminded me that it was my cousin’s birthday. I did a quick facetime with her and got back to work.

I got back to work and my phone was buzzing once again. A few work calls later, I got back to my seat and as I sat for work my boss called me.

Leaving my phone on my seat, I went to attend a meeting, only to realize it would have been easier if I could record boss’s instruction and later make a note of the same.

I came back to find a reminder for my credit card bill. Since my office server has blocked most of the sites, I used my phone to transfer money.

I spent rest of the day off my phone except referring to notes or playing a game of candy crush every once in a while. (Oh ya, I also once checked my blog stats during lunch)

On my way back, I realized that I didn’t know direction to the place I was supposed to meet my friends. I took out my phone to navigate when my phone showed me early signs of tiredness. However, I still did a quick navigation to the restaurant and found that it was 12 kms.

I closed all apps and prayed for good health of my phone. However, there are many who conspired against it. My friends kept on calling, insisting that I tell them where I am. I kept keeping the call to a short conversation and resisted all urge to check my whatsapp.

Some two kms short to destination, my phone gave up. There I was, with a dead phone and no directions.

I could have called someone from driver’s phone, but I didn’t remember anyone’s number. My phone does it for me. So I got down and asked for the way to the place. It was getting late and I had to let my driver go. “This damn phone, why couldn’t it last a bit longer” I thought to myself.

I had to send my boss an email of the minutes of meeting and I had thought I’d do it on my way. Now I would have to stay up and do it at night.

Clock turned nine. I was supposed to meet my friends at eight thirty. We were standing on a wrong road again. Why did my friends have to choose this place? I could have checked other places on this new app and suggested them. But of course, I couldn’t do it with a dead phone.

Finally asking at every junction and several wrong turns later I managed to find the place at nine thirty.

My friends were worried, my mother had called up my roommate to check where I was, the dinner was over and there I was hassled up and tired, all because of a dead phone.

These smartphones, I tell you, they come with such pathetic battery backup that it makes your life hell.
-------------------------------


This post is written for the Project 365 program at We Post Daily aimed at posting at least once a day, based on the prompts provided. I am the guest author for the month of February. The prompt for today is Call me, maybe - "Describe your relationship with your phone. Is it your lifeline, a buzzing nuisance, or something in between? "

I had a good laugh writing this post. Our smartphones have replaced so many things in our life and have made it easier in a lot of ways. But like all gadgets, it has a battery life and we cannot blame the poor phone to not stand up by our side at critical times.

Have you found Shades of Life on Facebook yet? Please check it out here

Please take out time to read more about the featured blogger for the month of February "Kathy Combs" here.


Guests are always welcomed at Shades of Life. Drop me a line at sugandha118@gmail.com and I would love to share your thoughts here.



12 comments:

  1. Nice post. All the best for the 365days project!
    The phone battery I have realized, drains faster when we use Internet or in technical terms GPRS. Sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, i have stayed away from smart phones.. did not want to let them control every aspect of my life.. but I see exactly what out outlined happening with folks in my family and friends as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I know what you mean! I'm always running around with my charger!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You are required to work in all other associated roles and more you do it more you become important for us" One of my top boss once wrote to me about twenty five years back. I refused but i found not only mobile phones everybody has become jack of all trades but also master of each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that line :) going to post it on my desktop.

      Delete
  5. Last year, I got my first smartphone but having been brought up in a hardhselled Nokia all my life, I had got accustomed to the idea that a phone needs charging every 2 days or so. But once this smartphone came into my life, it gave me a you-know-what-kind-of a time :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup...now my phone is an indispensable part of my life. If only the battery had the same stamina as mine ;)

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)