Oct 20, 2013

UBC Dy 20 - Affair - 18

Priya found it difficult to work with Harsh any longer. She had seen a different dominating side of him when she visited his house. She had seen the sadness and anxiety in her friend’s eyes. On top of it, this new found information was something that she couldn’t handle.

“Ignorance indeed is bliss”, she thought to herself as she tried to push it away from her mind but her thoughts seemed to have been stuck there.

She had never made anything out of office gossip, but when the grapevine revealed that Harsh and one of their office colleagues were having an affair, she couldn’t ignore it.

On their way back, she tried to speak to Harsh about it, but she couldn’t. A part of her brain told her that it was none of her business. Another reasoned that it was about her best friend’s life.

“What is wrong with you?” Deepti tried to cajole some information from Priya.

Four of them sat at the bar. It had become more of a routine now. They were all chit-chatting but Priya found it difficult to digest the information that would shatter Deepti’s world. She tried to delay the news till she could and shrugged at the question.

However, her thoughts wouldn’t leave her. When on their way home, Deepti questioned the same thing again. Priya got serious.

Slowly she started, “Deepti, I think I have a bad news.”

Looking at Deepti’s expectant face, she continued. “I have got to know a few things about Harsh through office gossip. I don’t know if they are true. I don’t want to judge him, he seems nice. But you know, they say that he is having an affair…” her voice trailed off.

Deepti looked down and a silence stretched between the two. After a while, she said, “I know about that. I know that girl too.”

Priya was stunned. Her best friend, who had been such a big support to her, had been taking all her pain and hiding it away. She took Deepti’s hand in hers.


Deepti continued, “It has been going on for a month or so. I somehow sensed it. I had met her at one of office parties last year. I have decided to speak to Harsh about it. I want to get separated.”

                                                      ---------------------------

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda. We give out a creative writing theme each weekend for Indian bloggers.

Linking it to my 30 part story for Ultimate Blog Challenge

10 comments:

  1. Oh my!! She knows!! What will she do about it? I can't wait to find out. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sad! Even I have a story about office-affair for the same theme. Don't think 'Ignorance is Bliss' in such cases.
    Really nice, Sugandha. Your story seems so real as all this is pretty common...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across this blog today!
    Planning to read the earlier parts too, to get a hang of the story.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that. Let me know how you found it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sugandha,

    So you also write stories?! Nice ones. What is this weekend challenge at blogadda? I visited blogadda.com about this but couldn't understand or find this weekend thing. There was so much stuff that I kinda got confused. Do let me know about it and how can I join. And, can only fiction writers join or any kind of bloggers?

    Raspal
    http://raspalwrites.com
    http://thetechnicaltips.com
    http://easytechnicalblog.com
    https://twitter.com/raspalwrites
    https://facebook.com/raspalwrites

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)