Oct 23, 2013

UBC Day 23 - Email - 21

Priya was working till late that Friday. She had taken a day off because of Navya’s fever and had gotten no time to work the entire day. She finished her work around 12 am, and put her file to attach in her mail and went to check on Navya. Upon finding her sleeping peacefully, she came back and sent the mail across.

Having finished the pending work, Priya stretched on the chair. Sleepless, thanks to a large cup of coffee that she consumed, Priya idled around at social networking sites for a bit. She checked her Facebook, changed a picture there, updated her Linkedin profile and accepted some new requests. She decided to watch a movie online, but before that she planned to open her personal email account and check mails that she hadn’t checked for months.

Priya began to scan through some five hundred plus unread mails. Some Junk, some updates from sites that she had subscribed to, she scrolled further down. Her hands came to a sudden halt. There was a mail from Nitin. It was marked as Reply, and she instantly knew there was more than one.
She launched a search and came across all mails from Nitin.

Mails from the time they dated. Love messages, which they wrote to each other while at work. Then there was that one mail where he had broken up with her. Then there were three emails that were un-read.

Priya shifted in her chair. Fighting back the tears, she opened the oldest.

Recipient – Priya Gupta
Sender – Nitin Kumar
Date – 5th October, 2012
Subject – Engagement
Dear Priya,
How are you? I don’t know if I reserve the right to write to you or not. I won’t apologize and tell you that I was wrong. But maybe, my method was.
I hope you have moved on from me and found love in your life.
Priya, as you know when I was with you, I had no other priority other than career. You were there in my life, and you provided the support I needed.
I cannot explain how I felt when you announced your pregnancy. I was happy, and I was scared. I was relieved when I got to know that you didn’t want the baby. It felt immoral somehow, so I tried to convince us that we should not abort, and to my surprise you suddenly agreed.
Your sudden excitement regarding marriage and baby made me nervous, and then you went.
You said that you’ll be gone for ten days, after which I was to meet you but you extended that to three weeks.
In these weeks, you weren’t available on phone or otherwise and my life turned upside down. I was offered a position in Hong Kong and was asked to move immediately. This was a new opportunity, a dream come true situation for me.
If you remember, I tried to talk to you about the baby and marriage, but you were always in rush. Priya I just couldn’t continue. I knew you will understand why I left, and left without saying much.
I was hopeful that you will see some sense and move on.
And even today, I hope that you have moved on and have found someone else in your life.

Priya, I wanted to tell you, that almost nine months later, I have found someone whom I liked. At this stage, I am settled in my career and want to start a family. I will be getting engaged on next Sunday.


Nitin

2 comments:

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)