Aug 17, 2013

Day 9 - Shiva Trilogy by Amish

Day 9 of my project 30 days 30 books covers the trend-setter, bestselling, award winning Shiva Trilogy.

The three parts of trilogy are –
1. Immortals of Meluha
2. Secrets of Naga
3. Oath of Vayuputra

I had read these books after much reluctance. It was my sister who kept nudging me and then eventually a friend who got the book, kept it in my hand and requested to read only first 50 pages of the first book.
The book was captivating, all the characters that we have read and heard of in mythological stories played humanly role. Even god of gods, Shiva was personified as a normal man with his doubts and challenges.

As a hindu, I have heard Shiva’s tale over and over but this one was different. It moved fast and swift and before I knew it, it was over. I couldn’t wait to start the next book.

When I got the next book after two days I read almost the entire book in one go. But it was somewhere in this book I started to lose the real grip. Shiva was now the lord. Gone were the doubts and here were mysteries and endless enemies.

It began to a bit more dramatic, stories of ganesha larger than life. However, the book was a good read too.

The third part of the series came after a long wait but didn’t prove to be worthy. It was one where I faced most challenges in finishing. The book wasn’t as swift as the other two. Maybe it was the long gap between two that I often mixed up characters and forgot who was who. Similar sounding names, dynamic personalities, confusing intentions made it more and more difficult.

I wish I read the third part right after second. Maybe it wouldn’t be that bad. I would rate books 4, 3, 3 respectively and a total of 3 out of 5 for the series.

You can read Day 8 review of Tuesdays with Morrie here.

6 comments:

  1. I read the series after all of the books were out, and I loved it...
    It was a new concept entirely for me..and it turned out to be good..
    Nice review though..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it's a wonderful series but the third part is indeed dissappointing. It usually takes me around two days to finish a book but it took me a week to get through the Vayuputras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! I had almost forgotten who is who by the time I read Vayuputra.

      Delete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)