Jul 7, 2013

Why should you negotiate for leaves and not salary…

 I once read an advice to negotiate a leave than on salary at work. The presentation advised about travel and came across the point. I was highly impressed by the presentation and made a mental note of a few points to try when life permitted.

Amongst the other advices, this one is proved to be the one I remember most clearly. It sounds like "the thing to do" to me. My reasons though are slightly different than the presentation.

So here are my top reasons to negotiate on leaves -

1) Spend time with your family -Take those extra days to spend time with your parents, spouse, kids. In our busy work schedule we almost forget to do this. In these extra days spend time in accompanying your family in various activities of their life. Help your wife to get a meal together, visit the park/doctor with your parents. Drop your kids to school, help them with homework, and take them to their hobby classes.

2) Finish your pending tasks - Lawyers, bankers, doctors almost all of them have weekends off. Extra off days are good days to finish the pending tasks before situation turns grave. Pay the bills, plan your future, and finish your old tasks.

3) Take time out for your hobby - Weekends often seem less when it comes to pursuing the things you love to do. If you are a working mother, you probably have a to-do list on weekends too. On these leaves, you do what you like - tend your plants, read books, write your journal/blog, go for a swim, go to a spa, relax and watch TV if you want.

4) Work to get a quality life - Want to pursue a dream career? Take this day to explore opportunities. Working couple - take off together to spend time together. Introspect, retrospect, dream and make plans.

5) Travel - If you are a travel bug like me, use these leaves to fulfill your cravings. Combine these leaves with some holidays and take off to hills, to beaches or to that unexplored path.

Actually there are a few more reasons to do so, but these I guess can convince you to negotiate on leaves during your next interview/appraisal. Your boss might argue why- the answer is these leaves will make you more productive. Once your needs, worries and aspirations are taken care of you spend time in office more effectively. No more e-banking or deciding on mutual fund. No more search of jobs or constant phone calls. No more personal stress and craving to do something else. Top most reason- you would have enough work to take care of before you go and when you come back to not idle away your office hours.
Good luck...

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kate...unfortunately atleast in my country we dont really realize that we need that 'me' time.

      Delete
  2. this is so rare na.. I am really hearing this 'negotiate leaves' for the first time.. we don't really pay attention this most important factor in a work life ... nice points Sugandha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...Ya I know, it isnt common in our country...but my european colleagues always found it very normal and that made me think...

      Delete
  3. nice post and well chosen Topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to tell you that we recently did this and guess what, Boss decided to give us more off days :D :D It really is a reward..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Bhavya...That sounds like a success.

      Delete
  5. good post. I feel these all things are known to people, but still they dont do. thats why we have to tell these more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the concept of negotiating leaves than salary! Good pointers here! Thanks for sharing :)

    PS : Is it possible to remove word verification... it is quite painful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leave---Is a distant dream for me...For like 7 months I have not been to my Home... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww thats sad...wish you good luck, may you get an unexpected leave...(i guess you should think about august, there are several holidays that month)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep saying the same things over and over again to people all around me. I keep trying to make sense and yet most remain rigid on the salary part. reading your post I know you are one person i dont need to convince :)

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when I say this to people they say it is impossible...
      I am happy that there are some of us who think alike...

      Delete
  10. Sugandha, you are so right..what's the point of frigging salary if you dont find the time to put it to good use for the ones you want to, with

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)